Employer Identification Number

After you have your LLC, you’ll want to get an Employer Identification Number (EIN). An EIN is also referred to as your Taxpayer ID, basically a social security number for companies. You’ll use this number for filing taxes and on other miscellaneous forms.

If an LLC has multiple owners or has any employees, you are required to obtain an EIN. There are certain situations where you don’t technically need an EIN, but you don’t want to put your own personal social security number on all these documents flying around. The government should just give you an EIN when you create an LLC but that would make too much sense.

EINs are issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Just go to their website and file out their application, it’s free and takes five minutes. If mailing in, use Form SS-4.